If you are looking for opportunities to volunteer or give back this holiday season, consider adopting a family in need through a local organization! Many organizations coordinate Adopt-A-Family programs to provide gifts and holiday cheer to families that may otherwise go without.
This is a great way to teach young children about empathy and kindness by helping those in need (see the additional tie-in below for an added activity!). It's also an excellent team-building opportunity for corporations or other groups. You can have fun shopping, gift wrapping and creating/signing cards together.
How You Can Help
- Contact an organization from the list below and learn more about the families-in-need.
- The organizations will provide details about the families, including the family size, ages of the children, information on meeting the family (if possible) and if the family has a wish list.
- One you've been assigned to a family, purchase age-appropriate gifts for the family and bring them to the drop-off location requested by the organization.
- Optional: Wrap the gifts, make holiday cards and/or write a note to the family.
- Additional tie-in for families: Read The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving, Maddie's Fridge, or another book on our list of Books About Kindness and Empathy to assist with the lesson in empathy and kindness. There are always suggested activities, so you can find other ways to practice kindness together!
Note: Organizations will be added at the end of 2019.