If you are looking for opportunities to give back this holiday season, consider adopting a family in need through a local organization! Many organizations coordinate Adopt-A-Family programs to provide gifts to families that may otherwise go without.
This is also a great way to teach young children about kindness and empathy as you work together to help families in need. We've included a few ways you can incorporate discussions about kindness and empathy throughout the process.
How You Can Help
Follow these steps if you would like to adopt a family during the holiday season:
- Refer to the list of organizations below, and contact an organization or complete the interest form to learn more about the families in need. Keep in mind that some Adopt-A-Family programs fill their available slots by early December.
- The organizations will provide you with details, including the family size, ages of the children, and if the family has a wish list.
- One you've been assigned to a family, purchase age-appropriate gifts and take them to the requested drop-off location before the deadline provided by the organization.
Please note: To protect and maintain the clients’ confidentiality, you may be asked to leave the gifts with the organization, and they will ensure the gifts are delivered to your adopted family.
For additional opportunities to discuss kindness and empathy with your children:
- Allow you children to take part in selecting the gifts.
- Make the experience more personal by creating holiday cards together and/or writing notes to the family.
- Read one of the books on our list of Books About Kindness and Empathy. There are also suggested activities in a few of the books, so you can find other ways to practice kindness together!
Check back for page updates in late 2020.