If you are looking for opportunities to volunteer or give back this holiday season, consider adopting a family in need through a local organization! Many organizations coordinate Adopt-A-Family programs to provide gifts and holiday cheer to families that may otherwise go without.
This is a great way to teach young children about empathy and kindness by helping those in need (see the additional tie-in below for an added activity!). It's also an excellent team-building opportunity for corporations or other groups. You can have fun shopping, gift wrapping and creating/signing cards together.
How You Can Help
- Contact an organization from the list below and learn more about the families-in-need.
- The organizations will provide details about the families, including the family size, ages of the children, information on meeting the family (if possible) and if the family has a wish list.
- One you've been assigned to a family, purchase age-appropriate gifts for the family and bring them to the drop-off location requested by the organization.
- Optional: Wrap the gifts, make holiday cards and/or write a note to the family.
- Additional tie-in for families: Read The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving or a book on our list of Books About Kindness and Helping Others to assist with the lesson in empathy and kindness.
Note: Organizations will be updated in Fall 2019.